Home Staging Los Angeles & Glendora: Curb Appeal-Planting Flowers in Winter
November 23, 2010
Planting flowers in winter may be exactly what is needed for those who find themselves selling a house during the winter months. You will be glad to know there are steps you can take toward creating colorful curb appeal as part of your home staging plan. Flowering plants that have adapted to surviving the colder temperatures are available in most every area.
1. If your flowering bed area does not face south (maximum sun exposure) then select an area that receives the most sun possible. Select shade plants if there is little sun.
2. Find your planting zone to select the flowers that are best for your area. You can easily find your planting hardiness zone by going here to the USDA Hardiness Zone Finder and putting in your zipcode.
3. Once you’ve found your planting hardiness zone, start researching winter plants for your zone on the internet. This gives you an idea of what the plants look like when selecting 2 or 3 types that go together. There are also flowering shrubs that will look nice among flowering plants.
For those living in snowy climates, small evergreens look nice with snow on their branches.
4. Plant your flowers a little farther apart during the wet winter season to allow air to circulate – drying up excess moisture to prevent plant mildew.
Plant the shorter plants in front in order to allow the taller plants to receive sunlight.
5. Water and fertilize according to directions for each type of plant. For those snowy climates, you may not need to water. In fact, it is best not to water unless the temperature is at least in the 40’s (Farenheit.) This prevents freezing.
For those warmer climates in Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley, you will have an easier time selecting and planting. Your local Garden Nursery should carry plants for the season or at least be able to give you direction for planting in winter.
It is possible to create beautiful curb appeal even during winter when you need to get your house sold.
Michelle Drewry, Principal Designer and Professional Home Stager of Staging The Essentials a Los Angeles Home Staging company located in Glendora, CA (San Gabriel Valley)
Call today for a “complimentary” quote for work to be done. 213-392-1901 or contact us.